A footnote is a notation that appears at the bottom of the page on which you used information from an outside source. Each page will only have footnotes for citations that appear on that page. Follow these instructions if your professor has asked you to use footnotes in your paper.
1. With your cursor placed after the period at the end of the sentence you want to notate, click the REFERENCES tab at the top of your screen.
2. Choose > Insert Footnote.
3. The superscript number will appear, and your cursor will be placed behind the corresponding superscript number under a line at the bottom of the page. This is where you can type your notation information.
4. To delete a footnote, delete the superscript in your writing (do not try to delete the footnote from the bottom of the page).
5. To continue writing your paper, place your cursor after the superscript number in your text and continue typing.
Use the next page to format your footnotes/endnotes.